donderdag 2 april 2009

Ostia

Do you remember Ostia, Love ?
Our wandering through the empty streets while the sun was beating down on our heads. Our entering the red brick houses with the writings on the plaster walls. Kind of giggling from the past.
We were drawn to the theatre where you went sitting on the marble stairs. I dragged behind and following your request I stayed below, looking up to your mysterious smile. Far away, yet strong enough to beat the splendour of the midday sun.
I stood below, singing a song for you.
For you, Ness, sitting there and being the mystery you have been from the very beginning.
If only my words could be on a wing.

Disturbed by a mystical shouting from the past, the earth bound spirits of the sixth legion that was slaughtered at the gates.
Do you remember Ness ? The howling wind carrying angry complaints, barely masking the grim mouths shouting out loud. And it filled up the space in between.
You felt the presence too, didn’t you ?
But you just smiled and applauded.
Threw a coin with the portrait of Augustus at my feet.
It was impossible for me to figure out if this glistening coin at my feet was a reward or a religious item. While exposed to the radiation below, I did not notice you came down from the steps and held my hands, whispering slowly something I could not understand.

What was it Ness ?
Please tell me now.
Because from that moment on, time frozen kiss in an ancient Roman theatre, all my Gods failed to exist.
I beg you to tell me Love. What were those words ?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten